Sunday, April 11, 2010

Swahili Church (Sunday)

Well, another day is passed and we pretty much spent the entire time at church. Church at MCDC has two services: one in English and one in Swahili. I was privileged to teach at both. The English service lasted about 2 hours, and the Swahili service lasted about 5 hours total (that includes cake at the end). It was fun, but L-O-N-G. Teaching at these were fun for me, and I talked about how we should stay strong in our journey with Jesus. Everyone on the team was so appreciated by the people here. They gave each of us a token of their love earlier before we left.

Tonight, Leon Gray (arts team) and Catherine Cruz (medical team) are guest blogging. Enjoy!

Leon:
Being in the military and having been on another missions trip, I thought I was prepared to deal with whatever happened on this trip. For the most part, I was right; but I did not expect to fall in love. For now, I'll give just one example of the amazing love we've been shown during this trip: There is one young boy, named Ernest, that became really attached to me. He would come running every time he saw me. Today, he sat on my lap for most of the first and second church services we attended at MCDC. At the end of the second service, we were lined up in front of the altar and presented with gifts. When Ernest heard that we were leaving, he ran crying to his mother. His mother looked up and made eye contact with me. I almost lost it in front of everyone. This is just one of many experiences from this trip that I will remember for the rest of my life.

Catherine:
Today we went to a celebration. After four days of intense medical clinics serving almost 1800 people, today we celebrated with the people we served at the church services at MCDC. I was asked by my team director, Marie, to do a testimony about my life during the first church service. This was the first time I have ever done this and I was very nervous. I made it through and was very touched by the response that I received. When I came on this trip, my goal was to help people, but I had no idea of the impact that these people would have on me. I have been the crier of the trip. I have been so moved by emotion every day with the children that we have helped, and the adults that we have ministered to. Our last day of clinic is tomorrow, but it will not be my last day to help. I am already making plans for our next trip. I think I have found a purpose and I am glad that God gave me the opportunity to serve in this way.

And Sunday comes to a close.
Good night.