Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Famous Last Words...


yesterday i spent most of the day in a workshop with Tim Stevens at Granger Community Church. It was helpful, and was centered around his new book Pop Goes the Church. I got quite a bit out of it, but we were assigned to create a message series around the idea that Everyone Can Make a Difference (or something like that). We had five minutes to come up with the series idea and relate it to Pop Culture. Dan and I came up with a parenting concept that neither of us really liked. Here's the point: this morning at about 230 when I couldn't sleep (airline delays...long story), I got the lightbulb moment on how I would create this series. Here goes: a pastor friend of mine in orlando did a series at Status called Famous Last Words that was created around this idea. They took words of Jesus, Mother Teresa, Ghandi, and others and made the series around being a world difference maker like these people. SO my idea is to spring off of this but to make it more of a pop culture thing (like use Bono, Chris Martin, Angelina Jolie, Oprah, etc.) and tie them to ancient church figures that made a difference and married it to faith. The idea here would be to show different angles of world change/culture change would be cool...and bring ordinary people beside the idea of the Pop Culture celebrity (infuse some life stories)

As for titles i like the following:
Wannabes: How I wannabe versus how I really am
CopyCats: Great decisions that shape who we can be
Famous Last Words (to totally steal the idea now)
Everybody Wants to Change the World (take some Campolo ideas here)
Perspective )this idea takes the images from an investment firm i saw in london. for example, like this:









It is all in the perspective. One looks trashy to some and the other looks trendy to some. Here's the point I would try and make with the perspective parts on the story: Angelina Jolie changes lives in Africa by adopting babies (loose interpretation but you get my point) and Mary Churchgoer changes lives by feeding the needy in her community. It would be kind of a perspective swapping with the celebrity and finding the unknown celebrity changing the world right where we are at...

ok, the name sucks right now, but this idea is in development. i am open to suggestions.

later, take the risk,
nate