Thursday, June 09, 2011

That's Not My Job

I used to hear those words and cringe. Honestly, at times I have thought those were some of the most selfish words ever spoken, especially when it comes to working on a team. Over the years, I’ve learned and lived the difference between being willing to serve and being willing to lower the average.

Andy Stanley wrote a book called, The Next Generation Leader. The main principle that I took away is this: do what only you can do. This has applied to me in a lot of different ways. For instance, this week I will do tasks that no one else around me can do as well as I. BUT, when someone joins our team that can do it better than me (or at least 75% as well), I will gladly hand the task off. It hasn’t always been that way, though.

Throughout my time as a pastor (about 9 years...man, I am getting old), one of the things I have been really good at is organizing events: concerts, conferences, humanitarian efforts, mission trips, etc. I actually enjoy doing it. I’m pretty good at it. But, that’s not what God put me in ministry to do...I am not an event planner. I am a leader...I am a pastor...I am a coach...I am a multiplier. If I just planned events over and over, it would be OK. But, if I lean in to my calling and passions, more events get planned. I say this matter-of-factly, and with the text, there’s no emotion attached to it. Many of the events I planned weren’t fun. But, then there is Kenya.

I love Kenya. I love taking teams of people to work with my friends, Danny and Chrissy Bass. The day is fast approaching that I will hand off those teams to others. I dread that day...but I know it is for the best. I am empowering others and multiplying the ministry. I’m like this foundation type of guy...setting it up, doing it, and handing it off. But Kenya, I love this one dearly.

So, what do I do? Do I hold on to leading trips and teams because I am passionate about it? Or do I obey what I know God has called me to do and hand this piece off? What if God has something better planned for my gifts? What if, instead of one team every year or two, He’s getting me ready for something bigger? What if he is getting the work in Kenya ready for something bigger? That seems to be the trend so far. I should be leaning into this with excitement, but I don’t know the end result, yet.

I can empower and release leaders. Others can lead, others should lead. I should empower and release them to lead. If I don’t, not only am I holding back the passion and leadership of others, but I am short changing myself and God’s greater purpose. I want to lean in and do my job...

What has God called you to do that no one else can do? What’s your purpose? Are you chasing after that? Maybe it’s time to take a next step...like I seem to always be doing. Maybe, for you, it’s time to take a first step and discover. What do you think? Where are you on this journey?