I was recently emailed by our office staff about calls we have received regarding the end of the world prediction on May 21. I was specifically asked how we (as a church) should respond to these calls.
Also, the calls we're getting are mostly from people who have never been to our church before, but they're wanting to know what we think. That part is pretty cool, that people want our opinion and will listen.
Here's my response, and I am sure the office staff will tailor this in a way that will be welcoming and loving.
There's a group of people that surface about every ten years and they make predictions about the end of the world. They like to use scripture with their predictions. Our church has no affiliation and does not recognize these groups as their very predictions contradict the words of Jesus (Jesus said NO ONE knows the day or the hour of his return in Matthew 24 and Mark 13) and they deter people from a true God given mission.
Therefore, we do not study these predictions or the people who make them, or really have anything to say regarding their predictions other than the above (that it is not based on a good interpretation of scripture).
Other pastors may have a more compassionate or wise way of saying this. I tend to err on the arrogant and cynical side of this as it is completely ludicrous, or, at least, every prediction regarding stuff like this has been ludicrous thus far. It seems history is repeating itself again.
What do you think? Too direct? (I have been known for that)
Either way, Saturday will come and go like the ones before, and we will all forget about this until the next prediction. I do like what Matthew Paul Turner has to say about this, as well. Go check that out.
And, for you pet lovers, here's a service for you that you may need to check out (caution: I am being sarcastic--thanks Stacie for the link to this).