Thursday, November 04, 2010

Thoughts of a New Dad

I love my daughter (Lucy). She is going to be 5mos old soon. Geez, she has grown so much since we brought her home from the hospital. It is pretty scary. She laughs and smiles now. I love that. So, I have learned some things, and figured I would share. I am writing this from a hotel in Indiana as I am away from the fam at a conference. I miss them, and this is helping me cope. thanks for indulging : )

So, here goes:
  1. I can get scary frustrated. I learned this when my daughter cried no matter what I did. It's scary, 'cause I thought I had the anger thing pretty much nailed. Guess not.
  2. Sleep is precious. I don't think I (or my wife) has had a good night's sleep in a long time. I do miss it, but I am not in the least bit regretful for the sleep lost.
  3. Life gets redefined. I guess I always experienced this with big life change, but recently, I was reminded of what is most important. A pic of Lucy brings me to a different place.
  4. I want to be better. Since spending time with this little girl, I want to love Jesus more, be healthier, resolve my own issues before she sees them, and make more money.
  5. Behavior change is a pain in the rear. I really wanted to use several explicit words in this one, but I figure the effect would be misjudged.
  6. Traveling without my family sucks. Enough said.
  7. I have more compassion for people I have judged, in particular, parents I see in the middle of a meltdown. Truth is, I am constantly reminded that will be me more often than I want to admit, and it scares me.
  8. Lucy's face makes my day ridiculously better. There's just something about her smile and her face that brings me comfort. I don't understand it. but I embrace it.
  9. I understand God's love more. The love of a father: I am still learning what this means. But, I am further down that road. It is pretty amazing.
  10. Things come more naturally than I expected. Especially: diapers, spit up, baby talk, middle of the night interactions, lack of sleep, and dressing another human.
  11. I married way out of my league. I always knew this, but now I am seeing more and more what absolute luck I have. I figure that my wife has either been brainwashed into thinking I am pretty cool, or her compassion level is like that of Jesus. It's probably a combo of both.
So, for those of you who have wondered, yes, I do change diapers, and yes, I have embraced this season of life to the fullest. It is such a wonderful journey.