Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Death

Lately, I have been to several memorial services, and I have at least one more to go. I don't like them, and I don't know many people that do, either. Last week, I was able to serve at the memorial service for a long time member from our church. I count it a privilege to serve during these moments in people's lives, even if it is to hug a neck and say a prayer. But, no one really wants to be at a funeral.

I reflect on the words of Jesus and Paul during these moments, you know "We don't mourn like those without hope for those who have fallen asleep..." and "Blessed are those that mourn..." and "Let not your heart be troubled..."

I reflect on my own mortality. I reflect on how much I love my family. I think more about how much I love my daughter, and how many memories I want to make...soon.

Seeing and experiencing grief marks me every time. Today, I was at a "homegoing." I have been able to go to several of these before, and, let me say, a "homegoing" is certainly more uplifting than a funeral. It is different. These words were said: "Her mission was always more important than her circumstances."

I love that statement.

Death is not the end. It's odd sometimes when I feel God pushing me and challenging me. Right now, there's a lot going on in my head and my heart. My prayer is that I will be wise enough to move on it, and sensitive enough to recognize all that is there.