here are my top ten memories of 2008:
10. Yankees vs. A's at Yankee Stadium:
Shauna and I went to NYC for my bday and she took me to a Yankees game. It was awesome. I got to see the stadium again before it gets demolished. However, my fav memory of the day was switching seats 6 times and stressing Shauna out because I wanted us to sit closer and risk being kicked out of the stadium. All in all it worked out....4+ innings close to first base isnt bad!
9. The Wachovia in Charlotte, NC:
Me and my dad got to, for the first time, go to the final day of play and watch the championship come to an end. It was a great moment to see Anthony Kim win that tourney.
8: Golf:
With Shauna working in NC most of the spring, I got a lot of golf in...more than I can remember since college. Granted, her absence sucked worse than anything on the face of the planet, but it did call for great lonely afternoons improving my game.
7: Big XMAS tree:
I love big Christmas trees. At ALC, we had a 25+ft tree and it was awesome. It looked great, too.
6. Memorial Day Weekend:
My family came up over Memorial Day and we went to DC, boated into Baltimore harbor (thanks Dan), and went to a Yankees game. It was a really cool weekend.
5. Driving in NYC:
Ok, I am a dork, but I absolutely love driving in Manhattan. It makes me smile to be a pushy arrogant street pilot and pound my horn for the slightest reason. It makes everyone in the car nervous but I love it. I like to make believe I am a local. I experienced this first when Shauna's parents were in NYC over a weekend and we took a day trip. I loved speeding down 9th avenue weaving through the yellow cabs.
4. Moving to MD:
Probably one of the most difficult and rewarding things Shauna and I have ever done was to accept a position at ALC in MD. Shauna worked from NC and we weren't together very much for 4+ months. It was hard. However, God knew what he was doing with us and it is one of the best decisions we feel we have ever made. We have developed a great start to what we hope to be a deep and lasting relationship with Dan and Kathy and all of ALC.
3. Christmas in NC with Family:
It isnt over yet, but tomorrow we drive back to MD. Over the past week and a half we have had so much fun with our family and hanging out with old friends (not OLD, but friends we have known for a while...well, one or two of them were old...but they dont get online so...). It has been wonderful relaxing and not having an agenda other than to chill out. It is definitely a much needed breather, but we are ready to get back to MD. Shauna is going back for her MA and we are starting some cool new things at ALC.
2. Aaron.
Me and Aaron celebrate our birthdays by going to a concert each year (starting in 2007). We went to see The Police in 2007, and Willie Nelson this past summer. I do not recommend Willie's show. Anywho, after much prayer and time, Aaron and I have the opportunity to work together again. It is definitely something God had his hand on. It is so cool to watch Aaron work in his gift and to see him dream and create vision. God is still working some things out, but this thing has some great potential. Along with Sat evening celebrations starting at ALC soon, 2009 could be one the biggest years in ministry I have had the joy of working in.
1. My wife.
She moved to MD (finally) in June. It is so good to be married to this woman. She makes me laugh and laughs at my jokes (even when they arent that funny). I really can imagine what life without her is like, because while she went back and forth with her work during the spring, I got plenty of alone time without her. I hated it. I am so glad and blessed to have her in my life. Shauna, I love you very much.
So there it is...2008. There were many downers for sure for a lot of people, but it was truly a great year for me and Shauna. We had some challenges, problems, and aggravation, but all in all, it will be one of the most important years of our life. We learned a lot about ourselves and met many challenges we didn't know we had the ability to overcome. I suppose that tonight at midnight, we're supposed to put all that behind us...
Taking risks and watching God define our time and lives never comes to an end, though. And that is probably the top growth experience I had in 2008...it will go with me. Does that make any sense at all? In my world it surely does...
taking risks,
n